Structure and Topics
Around 250 hours of individual work, including:
- E-learning (courses: E-learning modules, videos, documents, educational games, forum discussions, individual and collective work, research, exercises, reflective analysis
- Face-to-face sessions (lectures, case studies, individual and collective work)
- Personal work with coaching (reflective analysis, writing, and implementation of an individual plan of action, individual and bilateral work)
Phase 1: Initialization process
2 weeks (4 hours/week) by distance
Phase 2: Foundation: Myself within this training + basic concepts
1 week (8 hours/week) by distance
Phase 3: Institutional strategic framework
3 weeks (8 hours/week) by distance
Phase 4: Operational strategic framework: Project Cycle Management and related operational stakes
6 weeks (10 hours/week) by distance
Phase 5: Decentralized residential session preparing/sharing/strengthening
4 weeks (96 hours in total) at distance and residential in Uganda
Phase 6a: Deepening my learning and preparing for my PoA design
11 weeks (8 hours/week) at distance with coaching
Phase 6b: Deepening my knowledge and my PoA in my current working context
6 weeks (8 hours/week) at distance with coaching
Phase 7: Closing: recap / evaluation / final feedback
2 weeks (8 hours/week) by distance
- Professionals in the humanitarian, development or social sector looking to develop their competencies as well as reflect and capitalise on their experiences.
- Professionals from other sectors who wish to increase their understanding of the humanitarian sector for a potential career change.
- Graduate students with relevant volunteer or intern experience, looking to undertake a post-graduate course with a view to entering the humanitarian sector.
More details about the Uganda two-week residential session are available here.
The Selection Committee examines the quality of the applications and aims to reach a balance between the number of men and women, educational profiles and professional experience, geographical distribution and financial contribution.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Hold a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent university degree requiring three years of study, plus a minimum of two years work experience in the humanitarian, social or development sector OR hold a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent university degree requiring three years of study and at least five years work experience in another sector and wish to transfer to the humanitarian sector.
All classes at the Geneva Centre of Humanitarian Studies are delivered in English. All students must have an excellent command of English. Students whose mother tongue is not English, who do not have secondary or post-secondary qualifications taught in English or who have not spent a minimum of one year studying full-time at a university level in English (please provide transcripts certifying that courses were delivered in English), must provide a certificate to prove their mastery of English. More information on recognised tests and scores is available here.
- Regular academic year (starting in September)
- with scholarship/visa: For candidates who wish to apply for a scholarship and/or who need an entry visa for Switzerland, application deadline is February (before the academic year).
- all other candidates: applications are open until 15 July (before the academic year).
- Candidates without scholarship can also enroll to the Master during the current academic year.
To submit your application:
- Duly fill in the form on the online enrollment platform
- Register to the correct programme
- Upload all requested documents (check your scholarship eligibility beforehand: see Fees & Scholarship)
You will receive a confirmation by e-mail. Should you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
- Dates 12 October, 2020 - 27 June, 2021
- Duration 8 months
- Location Online with 2-week residential course in Kampala (31 Jan-10 Feb 2021)
- Language English
- CREDITS 10 ECTS
- Fee CHF 6,500 (tuition fees 5,000 CHF + 1,500 including accommodation and food in Uganda during the residential weeks).
- Application Deadline 31 August, 2020
- If applying for a scholarship Deadline: 30 April, 2020 (expired).