Objectives of the course:
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the media landscape (global & local) and the opportunities and challenges it presents to humanitarian organisations
- Analyse the impact of the digital media revolution
- Analyse the limits and constraints of relations between the media and humanitarian organisations
- Use the media as a strategic communications channel to support humanitarian programmes and operations
- Prepare and give an effective media interview (broadcast, print, online)
Around 50 hours of work for the whole course, including:
• Approximately 20 hours of face-to-face teaching (lectures, media training)
• Approximately 30 hours of self-study time (readings, reflexive analysis)
Structure of the course
• International media landscape and challenges
• The use of digital media at field level
• Journalists- aid actors interaction
• Traditional media: Between independence and instrumentalisation
• Making of humanitarian news: Media training
- Professionals in the humanitarian, development or social sector looking to develop their competencies in communication through various media
- Professionals working in the communication, or journalism fields who wish to gain specific knowledge of humanitarian interactions with media before changing their professional career towards humanitarian action.
- Graduate students with relevant volunteer or intern experience, looking to undertake a postgraduate course with a view to entering the humanitarian sector.
- a university qualification (bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- at least three years of relevant professional experience;
- excellent command of English;
- motivation working in the humanitarian sector.
- CV (Résumé)
- Scanned copy of passport
- A passport photo (.jpg format).
More information about the admission process is available on our application page.
- Dates 3-7 May, 2021
- Duration One week
- Location Geneva
- Language English
- CREDITS 2 ECTS
- Fee CHF 1'500
- Application Deadline 2 weeks before the start of the course. For candidates who need a VISA: 6 weeks before the start of the course.