Objectives of the course
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Define the objectives and specificities of humanitarian negotiation
- Apply a negotiation framework adapted to humanitarian crises
- Select and manage the most appropriate interaction and communication modes with various stakeholders while in a negotiation process
- Discover your personal style as negotiator and its consequences.
Around 50 hours of work for the whole course, including:
- Approximately 20 hours of face-to-face teaching including reflexive practice on real situations faced by participants, panel with experts, and role plays.
- Approximately 30 hours of self-study time including readings, audio visual presentations, videos.
Structure of the course
- Defining the similarities and differences between Humanitarian Negotiations and other types of negotiation
- Analysing a negotiation context
- Defining a strategy adapted to humanitarian crises
- Panel with experts
- Special types of negotiation: abduction of humanitarian staff, mediation with communities.
- Role plays
- Professionals in the humanitarian, development or social sector looking to develop their competencies in Humanitarian Negotiation
- Professionals from other sectors involved in humanitarian operations like government officials, CIMIC officers, liaison officers.
- Graduate students with relevant volunteer or intern experience, looking to undertake a postgraduate course with a view to entering the humanitarian sector.
- a university qualification (bachelor’s degree or equivalent);
- at least three years of relevant professional experience;
- excellent command of English;
- motivation working in the humanitarian sector.
- CV (Résumé)
- Scanned copy of passport
- A passport photo (.jpg format).
More information about the admission process is available on our application page.
- Dates 17-21 May, 2021
- Duration 1 week
- Location Geneva
- Language English
- CREDITS 2 ECTS
- Fee CHF 1,500
- Application Deadline 2 weeks before the starts of the course. For candidates who need a VISA: 6 weeks before the start of the course.