The new Lancet Migration European Regional Hub, co-led by Lancet Migration and the Geneva Centre of Humanitarian Studies, aims to make a positive impact on the lives of people who migrate to or within Europe, and the environments in which they live, through multidisciplinary research, as well as leadership, engagement, dissemination of research, and advocacy.
The virtual launch of the Hub will take place online on Tuesday, 22 June 2021 (14:00 – 15:15 CEST). The launch panel will focus on the challenges and opportunities in migration and health in the European Region, and how the European Regional Hub can advance migration health through sustainable multidisciplinary research, policy, and practice.
Lancet Migration is a global collaboration between The Lancet and researchers, implementers, and others in the field of migration and health that aims to address evidence gaps and drive policy change, building on the recommendations of the UCL-Lancet Commission on Migration and Health published in December 2018.
The Hub aims to bring together local and regional researchers, civil society, students and young professionals, non-governmental bodies, multilateral organisations, policymakers, and migrants across the region. There are many initiatives in the European Region working to improve and study the health of migrants. Rather than duplicate existing initiatives, the Hub aims to build a sustainable platform for research and policy action between and within sectors to amplify existing work and advocacy across the region.
14:00 – 14:05, Opening
• Professor Bernadette Kumar, Co-Chair, Lancet Migration, and Co-Lead European Regional Hub; Norwegian Institute of Public Health
• Professor Karl Blanchet, Co-Lead, Lancet Migration European Regional Hub; Director of the Geneva Centre of Humanitarian Studies
14:05 – 14:30 Meet the European Regional Hub Taskforce and Advisory Board
- Professor Davide Mosca, Former Director, Migration Health Division, International Organization for Migration
- Dr Sally Hargreaves, The Migrant Health Research Group, St George’s, University of London
- Professor Kayvan Bozorgmehr, Department of Population Medicine and Health Services Research, Bielefeld University
- Dr Daniela Kállayová, Department of Public Health, Screening and Prevention, Ministry of Health, Slovak Republic
- Reem Mussa, Forced Migration Advisor – Analysis Department, MSF Operational Center Brussels
- Dr Joasiah Kaplan, Child Protection Specialist UNICEF Office of Research-Innocenti, Italy.
- Dr Apolostolos Veizis, Executive Director, INTERSOS Greece
14:30 – 14:45 Keynotes
• Dr Isabel de la Mata, Principal Advisor for Health and Crisis Management, European Commission
• Dr Poonam Dhavan, Senior Migration Health Policy Advisor, UN International Organization for Migration (IOM), Geneva
• Dr Santino Severoni, Director, Migration Health Programme, World Health Organization (WHO), Geneva
14:45 – 15:10 Q&A Session moderated by Dr Ibrahim Abubakar, Co-Chair, Lancet Migration
15:10 – 15:15 Closing
Dr Jocalyn Clark, Executive Editor, The Lancet
More details about the Launch Agenda, including the speakers biographies, are available here.
A downloadable pdf with all information is available here.